We hope you’ll plan to join us for the Desert Spring contra dance weekend, the weekend of April 17, 18, & 19, 2020 in Mesa, Arizona, in the metro Phoenix area. Come party with us in the desert southwest as we celebrate traditional music and dance in the Valley of Sun in central Arizona.
In addition to our central program of mostly contras in the main hall, tentative plans for the weekend include:
– Workshops on music and dance for dancers and musicians
– Lunch provided on-site on Saturday and Sunday, plus a variety of snacks throughout the weekend
– A raffle featuring crafts, goodie baskets, certificates for dance weekends, and other items
– A clothing exchange.
The weekend will be held in a retirement resort in Mesa Arizona, 30 minutes from the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. The area has much to offer- nature, art, outdoor recreation (hiking, biking, etc.), and history. The resort has a swimming pool, hot tub, and other amenities for dancers that stay in units on site. You may be tempted to spend a few extra days in the area before or after the weekend, so be sure to investigate the possibilities before finalizing your travel plans.
Additional details about the weekend will be posted on this website as the weekend approaches. You may also want to check out:
– Available housing units on-site. The units are small modular homes, with one or two bedrooms. Check the housing page for more info.
– Facebook page to connect on getting rides, sharing rooms or campsites, and get the latest info on the weekend.
This event is sponsored by Dance in AZ, an affiliate of the Country Dance and Song Society, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Desert Spring is the re-vamp of the May Madness contra dance weekend that used to be held in the Cottonwood-Clarkdale area in Northern AZ.